I'm going to say right off bat that I'm completely okay with white potatoes... As long as that glucose is being used in the body and not just being packed away into fat cells. That being said, there are times when I do not need the extra simple sugars from white potatoes and green plantains would be more beneficial for me. Green plantains, as well as green bananas, packs fewer simple starches than white potatoes and plenty of resistance starch! So when you don't need those simple sugars but still want the taste of potatoes, this healthy french fries recipe is for you! Tastes like fried french fries! The steak or potato wedge kind. Give it a try!
Healthy French Fries: Fried Plantain [paleo, gluten-free, AIP]
What You’ll Need:
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut oil or ghee or combination of both (use only coconut oil if strict AIP)
- 1 large green plantain (or 2 medium green bananas), sliced diagonally
- Real Salt to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the coconut oil and/or ghee and wait until warm and completely melted. Be sure the oil is spread evenly over the surface of the skillet.
- In a single layer, place the plantain or banana slices on the oil making sure the slices don't touch each other.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on one side until light brown and slightly crispy before flipping each piece over.
- Cook on the other side for an additional 3-5 minutes making sure the oil stays evenly distributed. The "wedges" are done when they are brown and slightly crispy on both sides.
- Sprinkle with Real Salt just before removing from pan.
- Enjoy your healthy french fries with a burger patty or other yummy meat!
** Side Note: Thrive Market is always giving away an awesome deal along with a free 30-day membership with all orders! Check out Thrive Market and see their latest deal HERE. (And yes, all of the above are affiliate links. This means if you were to purchase anything by using a link on my website I would receive a small commission. This does not, however, affect the price. I only use links to products I know, like, and trust and think you will as well (:) **
Do you like plantains as much as I do? Share your thoughts and any additional changes you made to the recipe in the comments below!
If you like this recipe, you may also like this healthy taco salad.